Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Passing out...still...

Have you ever passed out? Not fun. At all. Sure it's fun to threaten my friends that if they keep tickling me or stealing something from me thereby making me chase them that I will pass out on them and then they will have to take care of me. But really, it's true...and that's the pathetic part.

I've been passing out since 7th grade...I think the first time was when I ran the mile for physical fitness testing. So we thought I was dehydrated or had asthma...not hard to assume when you're living in a place like Bakersfield. Multiple trips to cardiologists, neurologists, orthopedics, and and general doctors in both Bakersfield and UCLA led to many hypotheses but none of them seemed to fit. MRI's, EKG's, treadmill tests, heart monitors, diet changes, exercise changes, and the like did the same thing...lots of hypotheses but no fit. I learned to deal with it. Whether I was at marching band field shows, swim meets, soccer games, concerts, or anything else, the people around me learned what to do and to just give me time. I was supposed to grow out of it.

Well, I'm still passing out...more frequently than ever actually. Lots of things bring it on...high altitude, stress, physical exercise, standing for long periods of time, heat, dehydration, lack of eating, lack of sleep, etc. All of those basically explain my life right now. :) December 2006 I was finally diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope. Basically, it's a heart/brain miscommunication supported by low blood pressure. There's not much that can be done. I've been put on a couple of medications that did everything from give me seizures to shoot my blood pressure through the roof, neither of which I consider to be very healthy.

So I've learned to deal with it. It frustrates me that people have to take time out of their schedules and social lives to take care of me when it happens, but luckily I have some of the most amazing friends in the world who don't even think twice about it. Talk about Elder Holland's "Angels Among Us" talk at conference. I am truly living it right now.

Anyway, this all comes down to...I'm going to the doctor again. My friends think that 4 times in 6 days warrants a visit...they're right. Besides, I haven't been in almost 2 years so I should probably go and make sure nothing has changed or gotten worse. I am somewhat skeptical as to what they can do for me, but I will go with an open mind and take any advice the doctor gives me. Trust me, I'm a psych major and I know how much your personal psyche can affect this type of thing.

I just hope I get things cleared up enough before I send in my mission papers.

2 comments:

BrittanyB said...

good luck at the Dr! Hopefully they can get this cleared up. Do you know if this is one of those things they don't pass you for on the med clearance for missions?

Unknown said...

dude, megs, really.... you need to knock it off! We all know its just some silly ploy to get the attention you have been deprived of all your life.... oh wait, you never were deprived of attention. nevermind :) Good luck. i expect a followup post in about 2 days tops.