Monday, June 8, 2009

Who says you can't go home?

Picture this: sitting in a car for 10 hours in weather that is getting hotter and hotter as you go when finally, you reach your destination. You come peaking over the Tehachapi mountains and down into the valley as a faint smell of acid rain drifts in through the air vents. As you head further into the depths of this town, oil rigs pierce the horizon through the brownish haze we like to call smog. And then, you drive past Weedpatch Highway...
...and you know...
...that you are HOME.

Yes, I had a lovely trip to California with my mom. It was one last girl's trip before my mission so my dad wasn't allowed to come. We spent a couple of days in Bakersfield, which of course included visits to Dewar's and Monica Ward. Then we headed down to Thousand Oaks, where we picked up my grandma and took her out to Santa Barbara/Solvang for several days. We stopped for a night at my aunt's house in Palmdale on the way home. It was just really nice to be able to reconnect with my mom because we haven't really spent much time together since I started at college. Sure I live at home right now, but I'm always working or out with friends and the same with her so this was nice.
I love my mom so much. She has been there for me through all of my worst nightmares, even when I may have thought I didn't want her there. She exemplifies everything I want to be in a mother - caring, intelligent, driven, forgiving, faithful, patient, and more. I tease her a lot that we are complete opposites, and in many things we are, but being able to spend the week with her taught me just how much I want to be like her. I am going to miss her above anybody else on my mission but I know that our relationship will just grow stronger as the years go on.

4 comments:

THE EBERSOHLS said...

Love these pictures. So glad you had a wonderful trip with your Mom. I know how special that is. Spend as much time with her as you can before leaving. I have to agree with everything you said about your Mom. She is incredible and truly an example too me as well. I know you will be an amazing mother Meagan.

Love the pictures at Dewars. Did you enjoy your Black and White? So jealous!! What do you think about their new remodling? Pretty nice. It is so wonderful to spend time with family. THanks for sharing these fun memories.

Mrs. Schmalison said...

Dang, I wanted to get a picture of us before you left. Oh well. Im glad you had a fun time, we miss you already!!

Unknown said...

HEY Thats my mom too! :) I'm glad you had fun on your trip, and yes, the acid rain definitely means HOME

Carla said...

Awww... I love both of your parents! They are such great examples to everyone.

I'm excited that you're going on a mission. You are going to be such a fantastic missionary! I know that you will bring so many to a knowledge of the Gospel.